|Courtesy: India Today|
Though not vastly, but yes! Local and National Media has covered Assam flood….and I am sure most of the conscious people are now aware of Assam flood, may be through Facebook, TV, Twitter, few mainlines and may be by word of mouth.
We helped Chennai, we helped Nepal, we helped Kashmir during the natural disaster. Now, Assam is really in need of your help in her dire state.
Incessant rainfall in Assam during the last month - July resulted in heavy flooding in Brahmaputra and its tributaries. More than 29 people have lost their lives, officially and approximately 37 lakhs people from 28 districts are affected, several thousands of people rendered homeless and several thousands of hectares of agricultural lands got inundated, causing soil erosion, failure in communication networks, electricity, commuting etc. Schools, roads, embankments have been either washed away or badly damaged.
The worst-affected districts are Lakhimpur, Golaghat, Bongaigaon, Jorhat, Dhemaji, Barpeta, Goalpara, Dhubri, Darrang, Morigaon and Sonitpur.
So, why Assam needs your help???
- About 37 lakh people have been affected by the flood.
- 3,300 villages were washed out.
- More than a lakh people internally displaced from their home
- Close to 80 per cent of the Kaziranga National Park, home to the one-horned rhinoceros, lay submerged.
- The death toll so far is 29, and rising.
So, how can you help ???
You can contribute whatever you can by getting in touch with either of the governmental or non-governmental contacts mentioned below:
- David Kujur: Inter Agency Group: +91-7399016122: collaborating with all organisations working on ground;
- Kaplianlal Thangluai: IGSSS (Indo Global Social Service Society): +91-8486355571: distress support in Lower Assam;
- Assam Helpline of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA):0361-2237219
- National Disaster Management Helpline: +91-9868891801
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF): +91-9711077372
- Jayanta Das : Range Officer: Kaziranga National Park: +91-9435052838
- Satyendra Singh: Field Director: Kaziranga National Park: +91-9435102834
- OxfamIndia : https://www.oxfamindia.org/Assam-Floods-2016?utm_source=google&utm_medium=assamfloods&gclid=CLfy66fmnc4CFQEOaQodwuoGmQ
- Save the Child : https://support.savethechildren.in/assam-bihar-floods/?agencyname=socialmedia&adunit=floodsappealsocial&adsize=na&gclid=na&accounttype=na&url=floods2016
- Ketto : https://www.ketto.org/fundraiser/AssamFlood
Request you to share this information on Facebook, Twitter & WhatsApp, to spread the word and get Assam all the help it needs.